W.S. Sho Goh
Shenzhen Bay Laboratory Principal Investigator
Genome Institute of Singapore Junior Principal Investigator
Post-doctoral Fellow Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, USA Ph.D. in Biological Science
Bioinformatics Research Officer Genome Institute of Singapore
University of Pennsylvania, USA B.S.E. (Summa Cum Laude) in Bioengineering
The Goh lab studies how RNA modifications (epitranscriptome) regulate gene expression and cellular processes by developing new technologies to sequence RNA modifications and functionally characterizing novel epitranscriptomic factors that interact with and metabolize RNA modifications. Defects in epitranscriptomic regulation cause a variety of diseases and determining the mechanistic basis that underlie these defects will be crucial for developing effective epitranscriptomic-based therapeutic strategies.
In recent years, Sho has focused on the study of RNA modifications, also known as Epitranscriptomics. One of his key contributions to this field is the development of high-resolution epitranscriptome sequencing technologies. These technological advancements helped facilitate the discovery of novel epitranscriptomic factors that generate RNA modifications, which revealed new mechanisms by which modified RNA is regulated. Sho has also challenged popularly held notions of epitranscriptomic pathways by using precise sequencing methods to accurately identify the metabolic targets of previously known epitranscriptomic factors and thus, redefined their functional roles. As a member of the RNA society since 2020, Sho's work has been published in prestigious journals (including Nature Communications, Nucleic Acids Research, Genes & Development, PLoS Computational Biology and Cell ) and resulted in a patent and multiple research grants.
• Career Development Award (Singapore)
• Young Investigator Grant (Singapore)
• Global Young Scientists Summit Award (Singapore)
• McClintock Fellow (Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory)
• National Science Scholarship for Ph.D. (Singapore)
3. Lab Manager
5 Selected Publications
1. Pratanwanich PN*, Yao F, Chen Y, Koh CWQ, Hendra C, Poon P, Goh YT, Yap PML, Yuan CJ, Chng WJ, Ng SB, Thiery A, Goh WSS*, Göke J*. Detection of differential RNA modifications from direct RNA sequencing of human cell lines (2020) Biorxiv.
2. Goh YT, Koh CWQ, Sim DY, Roca X*, Goh WSS*. METTL4 catalyzes N6-methylation of adenosines in U2 snRNA to regulate pre-mRNA splicing (2020) Nucleic Acids Research.
3. Koh CWQ, Goh YT, Goh WSS*. Atlas of quantitative single-base-resolution N6-methyl-adenine methylomes (2019) Nature Communications.
4. Koh CWQ, Goh YT, Toh JDW, Neo SP, Ng SB, Gunaratne J, Gao YG, Quake SR, Burkholder WF, Goh WSS*. Single-Nucleotide-Resolution Sequencing of Human N6-Methyldeoxyadenosine Reveals Strand-Asymmetric Clusters Associated with SSBP1 on the Mitochondrial Genome (2018) Nucleic Acids Research (Highlighted in NAR Breakthrough Article).
5. Goh WSS, Falciatori I, Tam OH, Burgess R, Meikar O, Kotaja N, Hammell M, Hannon GJ*. piRNA-Directed Cleavage of Meiotic Transcripts Regulates Spermatogenesis (2015) Genes & Development.